|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual, shrub, strong-scented. Stem: hairy, generally glandular. Leaf: simple; blade linear to ovate, entire. Inflorescence: cyme (raceme), axillary. Flower: calyx lobes 5, equal or uppermost 1 narrower; corolla blue to lavender, tube straight or curved upward, occasionally sharply recurved near throat, included to much-exserted from calyx, lobes 5, lowest a generally reflexed lip; stamens 4, attached near throat, generally much-exserted, ascending between upper corolla lobes, generally arched. Fruit: nutlets 4, joined in basal ± 1/3, puberulent to hairy, irregularly ridged.
± 17 species: North America. (Greek: hair, stamen) [Lewis 1945 Brittonia 5:276–303] Annual species generally flowering late summer, fall.
1. Shrub, < 1.5 m
2. Corolla tube 9–14 mm; inflorescence hairs 2–3 mm, obscuring pedicel ..... T. lanatum
2' Corolla tube 4–7 mm; inflorescence hairs 1–2 mm, not obscuring pedicel ..... T. parishii
1' Annual, < 1 m
3. Petiole distinct, 5–15 mm
4. Corolla tube 4–8 mm, exserted, lower lip 4–7 mm ..... T. laxum
4' Corolla tube 1.5–3 mm, included, lower lip 2–3 mm ..... T. simulatum
3' Petiole indistinct or < 5 mm
5. Corolla tube curved abruptly upward near throat; stamens 5–20 mm
6. Stamens 5–9 mm ..... T. ruygtii
6' Stamens 11–20 mm
7. Leaf blade 2–7 cm, lanceolate to narrowly ovate, length > 3 × width; corolla tube 5–10 mm ..... T. lanceolatum
7' Leaf blade 1–2 cm, ovate, length < 2 × width; corolla tube 2.5–5.5 mm ..... T. ovatum
5' Corolla tube curved gradually upward; stamens 2–6 mm
8. Stem, leaf hairs curled to appressed; stamens 2–3 mm, ± included to ± exserted ..... T. micranthum
8' Stem, leaf hairs straight, generally spreading; stamens 3–6 mm, exserted
9. Calyx lobes < 2 × tube; calyx tube > mature nutlets; mature calyx generally red-tinged ..... T. rubisepalum
9' Calyx lobes > 2 × tube; calyx tube < mature nutlets; mature calyx green
10. Leaf blade widely elliptic, length generally < 4 × width; calyx lobes generally widest above base ..... T. oblongum
10' Leaf blade elliptic, length generally > 4 × width; calyx lobes widest at base ..... T. austromontanum
11. Leaf <= internode above ..... subsp. austromontanum
11' Leaf >> internode above ..... subsp. compactum
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.