|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Perennial herb, unarmed, generally hairy, rhizomed. Stem: erect; lower nodes leafless. Leaf: palmately compound; lower stipules clasping stem, scarious, others not clasping stem, green; leaflets 3, widely ovate to oblanceolate. Inflorescence: raceme, terminal; bracts like stipules, ± persistent. Flower: calyx lobes 5, upper 2 ± fused; corolla yellow; stamens 10, free. Fruit: erect or spreading, slowly dehiscent, oblong, flat; base stalk-like base present; margin often wavy. Seed: 3–10.
± 20 species: temperate North America, central and eastern Asia. (Greek: like a lupine) [Chen et al. 1994 Ann Missouri Bot Gard 81:714–742]
1. Leaflets, pedicels, fruits glabrous to sparsely long-soft-hairy; flower 1–2 per node ..... T. gracilis
1' Leaflets, pedicels, fruits long-soft-hairy; flowers generally 2–5 per node
2. Plant 8–25 dm; stem stout, erect
3. Fruit ascending, straight; lower pedicels 2–4 mm; leaflet lateral veins 12–16; Western Transverse Ranges (Santa Ynez Mtns) ..... T. macrophylla
3' Fruit spreading, curved; lower pedicels 4–8 mm; leaflet lateral veins 18–24; Klamath Ranges, Outer North Coast Ranges ..... T. robusta
2' Plant 3–8 dm; stem slender, ascending to erect ..... T. californica
4. Stipules ovate to widely ovate; inflorescence bracts < 15 mm wide; leaflet hairs not appressed; North Coast, North Coast Ranges, Central Western California ..... var. californica
4' Stipules lanceolate to ovate; inflorescence bracts < 6 mm wide; leaflet hairs appressed; Cascade Range, Western Transverse Ranges, s Peninsular Ranges (San Diego Co.), Modoc Plateau
5. Leaflet silvery, hairs straight; Cascade Range, Western Transverse Ranges, Modoc Plateau ..... var. argentata
5' Leaflet velvety, hairs ± wavy; s Peninsular Ranges (San Diego Co.) ..... var. semota
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.