|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Perennial herb, taprooted. Stem: erect, leafy, hollow. Leaf: petioles sheathing, cauline sheaths often inflated, bladeless; blades compound (dissected), leaflets generally wide, distinct. Inflorescence: umbels compound, peduncled; bracts 0; bractlets 0 or many and conspicuous; rays, pedicels many, spreading-ascending to ascending. Flower: calyx lobes 0 or minute; petals wide, white, pink, red, or purple. Fruit: oblong to round, generally compressed front-to-back (± compressed or cylindric), glabrous to hairy; ribs unequal, winged but marginal generally wider than others; oil tubes 1–several per rib-interval, adhering to fruit wall (to seed); fruit axis divided to base. Seed: face flat.
50–60 species: temperate North America, Asia. (Latin: angelic, for cordial and medicinal properties) [DiTomaso 1984 Madroño 31:69–79]
1. Leaf 2–3-ternate-pinnately dissected, segments linear or linear-oblong, entire, 2–10 cm ..... A. lineariloba
1' Leaf 1–3-pinnate or -ternate-pinnate, leaflets lanceolate to widely ovate, generally serrate to dentate or irregularly cut (entire), 3–15 cm
2. Bractlets conspicuous, 5–15 mm; rays, pedicels not webbed at base
3. 1° leaflets generally sharply reflexed; fruit compressed, ovate to round, 3–4 mm, ribs on back much narrower than marginal, thin ..... A. genuflexa
3' 1° leaflets not reflexed; fruit cylindric, ± oblong, 4–9 mm, ribs ± equal, widely, thickly corky-winged ..... A. lucida
2' Bractlets generally 0 or inconspicuous; rays, pedicels webbed at base
4. Basal leaves 1-ternate-pinnate
5. Rays ± equal, spreading-ascending to reflexed ..... A. callii
5' Rays unequal, ascending
6. Leaf oblong; leaflets entire to sparsely serrate; rays 7–14; ovary minutely bristly; fruit oblong, 4–5 mm ..... A. kingii
6' Leaf triangular-ovate; leaflets sharply serrate; rays 15–50; ovary glabrous to minutely hairy; fruit oblong to ovate, 6–7 mm ..... A. californica
4' Basal leaves 2–3-ternate-pinnate
7. Plant glaucous ..... A. tomentosa
7' Plant bright green, at least adaxially on leaves
8. Plant coastal; leaf thick, abaxially generally white-tomentose ..... A. hendersonii
8' Plant not coastal; leaf thin, green, both sides generally glabrous
9. Petals, ovary glabrous ..... A. arguta
9' Petals, ovary hairy ..... A. breweri
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.