|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
(N. Garry, 1st secretary of Hudson's Bay Co., explorer of Pacific Northwest with David Douglas, 1782–1856) Intergradation among California species raises doubt about taxonomic status.
1. Abaxial leaf hairs dense, curly-wavy, interwoven, felt-like, not appressed toward leaf tip
2. Leaf margin ± to strongly wavy and often ± to strongly rolled under; pistillate flowers (1)3 per bract; inflorescence in fruit 18–28 mm wide; North Coast, Outer North Coast Ranges, n Sierra Nevada Foothills, Sacramento Valley, Central Coast, San Francisco Bay Area, Outer South Coast Ranges ..... G. elliptica
2' Leaf margin flat to ± wavy and sometimes ± rolled under; pistillate flowers 1(3) per bract; inflorescence in fruit 13–18 mm wide; Outer South Coast Ranges, Southwestern California ..... G. veatchii
1' Abaxial leaf hairs 0 to dense, straight to wavy, not felt-like, appressed toward leaf tip
3. Abaxial leaf hairs 0 (or sparse on young leaves); fruit glabrous or near tip sparsely hairy ..... G. fremontii
3' Abaxial leaf hairs sparse to dense; fruit dense-hairy, glabrous, or near tip sparsely hairy
4. Abaxial leaf hairs dense, fine, wavy ..... G. congdonii
4' Abaxial leaf hairs sparse to dense, ± coarse, straight to ± curved
5. Fruit glabrous or near tip sparsely hairy; abaxial leaf hairs generally dense; Northwestern California ..... G. buxifolia
5' Fruit generally dense-hairy; abaxial leaf hairs sparse to ± dense; Northwestern California, Sierra Nevada, Central Western California, Southwestern California, Desert Mountains ..... G. flavescens
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.