|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
This text currently parallels The Jepson Manual: Vascular Plants of California, Second Edition that is now available at the University of California Press.
Text appearing in blue on this page will not appear in the printed book; it will be displayed only on the Web. Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Shrub, small tree, evergreen.
Stem: trunk < 80 cm diam; bark generally gray to red-brown; twigs short.
Leaf: generally clustered, simple; stipules deltate to lanceolate, generally deciduous; blade ± thin to leathery, entire to toothed.
Inflorescence: clusters, flowers 1–18.
Flower: hypanthium funnel-like, tube persistent in fruit, rim cup-like, deciduous, bractlets 0; petals 0; stamens 10–46, in ± 3 rows on hypanthium rim, anthers glabrous or hairy; pistil 1, free from hypanthium tube, ovary superior, 1-ovuled, style terminal, persistent in fruit, straight or twisted in age, plumose.
Fruit: achene, cylindric, hairy, included in hypanthium tube.
11 species: w North America, Mex. (Greek: tailed fruit) [Lis 1992 Int J Plant Sci 153:258–272]
1. Lf blade entire; anthers glabrous ..... C. ledifolius
2. Lf blade generally 3–10 mm, margin inrolled to midrib; plants highly branched ..... var. intricatus
2' Lf blade 10–30 mm, margin flat to inrolled but not to midrib; plants moderately branched
3. Lf oblanceolate to lance-elliptic, (3)9(11) mm wide, abaxially glabrous to sparsely woolly, midrib, veins visible ..... var. intermontanus
3' Lf narrow-lanceolate, 2–5(7) mm wide, abaxially densely woolly, midrib, veins obscure ..... var. ledifolius
1' Lf blade toothed to crenate; anthers hairy
4. Lf leathery, abaxially white-woolly — s ChI (Santa Catalina Island) ..... C. traskiae
4' Lf not leathery, abaxially ± sparsely hairy
5. Lf thin, abaxial areoles glabrous — PR (Riverside, San Diego cos.) ..... C. minutiflorus
5' Lf thin to thick, abaxial areoles sparsely hairy ..... C. betuloides
6. Lf blade generally 10–27(40) mm, < 15 mm wide ..... var. betuloides
6' Lf blade generally (20)27–70 mm, > 15 mm wide
7. Lf wide- to oblong-ovate, base rounded; flowers, fruits generally 1–6(12) ..... var. blancheae
7' Lf obovate, base tapered; flowers, fruits 1–3 ..... var. macrourus
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.