|University of California, Berkeley|
|Directory News Site Map Home|
Key to families | Table of families and genera
Specimen numbers are hyperlinked to records in the Consortium of California Herbaria data view where possible. Taxa are hyperlinked to entries in the Jepson Interchange via the "[Online Interchange]" link.
Annual to perennial herb; hairs 0 or simple. Leaf: basal rosetted, petioled, entire to pinnately lobed; mid-cauline petioled or sessile, base lobed to sagittate or wedge-shaped. Flower: sepals erect to reflexed, bases sac-like or not; petals linear to oblanceolate, spoon-shaped, or obovate, clawed or not, white to lavender or purple; stamens free (± fused). Fruit: silique, dehiscent, linear, unsegmented, ± narrowed between seeds, cylindric or ± flat parallel to septum, stalked above receptacle; stigma entire. Seed: 1 row per chamber, ± flat; wing generally 0.
16 species: western North America. (Greek: female foot, from fruit stalk above receptacle) [Al-Shehbaz 1973 Contr Gray Herb 204:1–148]
1. Mid-cauline leaves petioled, pinnately lobed to dentate
2. Fruit spreading; proximal stems solid; pedicel ± straight, spreading (ascending); petal blades linear; basal leaf petioles not ciliate ..... T. laciniatum
2' Fruit ± erect, generally appressed; proximal stems hollow to inflorescence; pedicel upcurved, tip erect; petal blades spoon-shaped to oblanceolate; basal leaf petioles ciliate ..... T. milleflorum
1' Mid-cauline leaves sessile, entire
3. Perennial herb, caudex thick; basal leaves persistent ..... T. flexuosum
3' Biennial, caudex 0; basal leaves withered by fruit time
4. Cauline leaves narrowed to base, not lobed or sagittate; basal leaf petioles not ciliate ..... T. integrifolium
5. Petals white; fruit pedicel 6–9(13) mm, ± white; stalk above receptacle 1–3 mm ..... subsp. affine
5' Petals lavender to purple (± white); fruit pedicel 2–5(6) mm, not ± white; stalk above receptacle 0.5–1 mm ..... subsp. complanatum
4' Cauline leaves expanded to base, base lobed or sagittate; basal leaf petioles ciliate
6. Inflorescence dense, spike-like, little expanded in fruit; petals generally white (pale lavender), blades crinkled
7. Fruit pedicel 1–2 mm, spreading (± ascending), stout ..... T. brachycarpum
7' Fruit pedicel 2–5(10) mm, erect to erect-ascending, partly or fully appressed, slender ..... T. crispum
6' Inflorescence open, panicle-like, much expanded in fruit; petals lavender or purple (white), blades not crinkled or only at base
8. Paired filaments partly to completely fused; petals narrowly oblanceolate, 0.5–1.2(3) mm wide; seeds 22–40 ..... T. howellii subsp. howellii
8' Paired filaments free; petals linear, 0.3–0.5(0.8) mm wide; seeds 50–82 ..... T. stenopetalum
Citation for the whole project: Jepson Flora Project (eds.) [year] Jepson eFlora, http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/IJM.html [accessed on month, day, year]
Citation for an individual treatment: [Author of taxon treatment] [year]. [Taxon name] in Jepson Flora Project (eds.) Jepson eFlora, [URL for treatment]. Accessed on [month, day, year].
We encourage links to these pages, but the content may not be downloaded for reposting, repackaging, redistributing, or sale in any form, without written permission from The Jepson Herbarium.