Andrew Gabriel Murdock
Department of Integrative Biology
University of California, Berkeley
1001 Valley Life Sciences Building #2465
Berkeley, CA 94720-2465
- 1995-2000 B.A. in Integrative Biology
- University of California, Berkeley
2004August Advancement to Candidacy for the Ph.D. in Integrative Biology
- University of California, Berkeley
- 2005 Integrative Biology Hansen Travel Fund
- 2005 Integrative Biology Summer Research Grant
- 2005 Lawrence R. Heckard Fund Research Grant
- 2004 California Native Plant Society Research Fellowship
- 2003 P.E.A.R.L. (Polynesia Education and Research Laboratories) Graduate Student Research Fellowship
- 2003 Honorable Mention NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- 2003-2004 Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award
- 1995-2000 National Merit Scholarship, sponsored by University of California, Berkeley
- 2002 Fall – Graduate Student Instructor: Biology 1B
- 2003 Spring – Graduate Student Instructor: Plant Systematics
- 2003 Summer – Graduate Student Instructor: Medical Ethnobotany
- 2003 Fall – Graduate Student Instructor: Medical Ethnobotany
- 2004 Spring – Graduate Student Instructor: California Plant Life
- 2004 Summer – Graduate Student Instructor: Medical Ethnobotany
- 2004 Fall – Graduate Student Instructor: Medical Ethnobotany
- 2005 Spring-Summer-Fall – Graduate Student Researcher: NSF 0228729. ATOL: Collaborative Research: Deep Green Plant Phylogenetics: Novel Analytical Methods for Scaling from Genomics to Morphology, PI Brent Mishler, UC Berkeley
Dissertation Research: Systematics and Molecular Evolution of marattioid ferns (Marattiaceae)
- Phylogeny of marattioid ferns based on nucleotide sequence data and morphology
- Rates of evolution in marattioid ferns, a putative living fossil lineage
- Monographic revision of Asian and Pacific members of Marattia
Green Tree of Life Project
- Assembling a morphological matrix for cladistic analysis of land plants in combination with gene order data sets
- Assembly of land plant whole mitochondrial and chloroplast genomes
Flora of the Carquinez Strait Region, Contra Costa and Solano Counties, California (with Dean Kelch)
- Murdock, Andrew G. and Alan R. Smith. 2003. Pteridophytes of Moorea, French Polynesia,
- with a new species, Tmesipteris gracilis. Pacific Science 57 (3): 253-265.
Murdock, Andrew G. and Anya E. Hinkle. 2002. Moorea Digital Flora Project
- Jepsen, Eric P. B. and Andrew G. Murdock. 2002. Inventory of native and non-native
- vegetation on John Muir National Historic Site, Eugene O’Neill National Historic Site, and Port Chicago National Monument. National Parks Service report (in cooperation with Point Reyes Bird Observatory).
Murdock, Andrew G. 2000. Morning glories (Convolvulaceae) of Moorea: systematics,
- distribution, and ecology. Biology and Geomorphology of Tropical Islands 9: 106-131.
Murdock, Andrew G. 2000. Checklist of the flora of the Gump Station.
- Biology and Geomorphology of Tropical Islands 9: 200-208.
- Murdock, Andrew G. 2005. Molecular evolution and phylogeny of marattioid ferns, an ancient lineage of land plants. Botany 2005 (meeting).
- Murdock, Andrew G, Mishler, Brent D., Smith, Alan R., Renzaglia, Karen S., Schuette, Scott, O'Kelly, Charles J., Roper, Jessie M., Hansen,
- Sterling K., Wolf, Paul G. 2005. Phylogeny of the land plants: analysis of a new comprehensive morphological matrix in relation to nucleotide sequence data and comparative organellar genomics. Botany 2005 (meeting).
- Roper, Jessie M., Hansen, Sterling K., Murdock, Andrew G., Kuehl, Jennifer V., Boore, Jeffrey L., Karol, Kenneth G., Mandoli, Dina F., Olmstead, Richard, Mishler, Brent D., Wolf, Paul G. 2005. Chloroplast genome sequence of the marattioid fern Angiopteris. Botany 2005 (meeting poster).
- 2003-2005 Flora of the Carquinez Strait Region, Contra Costa and Solano
Current flora and bioinformatics project with Dean G. Kelch, with upcoming web-based resource. (Manuscript in prep.)
- 2002 Moorea Digital Flora Project,
A web-based resource on the plant diversity of Moorea, French Polynesia, originally built for students and visiting researchers, the Moorea Digital Flora Project has now grown to include photo galleries of plants found on Moorea, ethnobotanical information and local names of important plants, and a key to the pteridophytes.
- Brent Mishler,
- Thomas Carlson,
- Alan Smith,
- Kipling Will
Affiliations with Professional Organizations:
- Botanical Society of America (BSA)
- American Society of Plant Taxonomists (ASPT)
- International Association of Pteridologists (IAP)
- American Fern Society (AFS)
- California Botanical Society
- California Native Plant Society (CNPS)