Facilities

The UC bryophyte collection

The basis of the UC bryological collection was formed by the liverworts and mosses collected by M. A. Howe and F. T. Bioletti in the early 1890's, vouchers for Howe's "Hepatics and Anthocerotes of California". Exchange specimens included bryophytes collected by Bolander as part of the California Geological Survey, mosses from Mrs. E. G. Britton and C. E. Cummings, and exsiccatae such as Grout's "North American Musci Pleurocarpi". Further acquisitions include California collections of hepatics and mosses donated by various other botanists. In addition to California, the herbarium encompasses a broad selection of specimens from Canada, northern and central Europe, Japan, western South America, Burma, Central America, and the West Indies.

Dr. Daniel Norris has recently (1993) given his personal herbarium of about 85,000 botanical specimens (mainly bryophytes), collected in a number of regions around the world during the period 1955 to present, to the University. This fine collection, representing as it does more than a 200% increase in size of the existing bryophyte collection in the University Herbarium, is an extremely valuable addition. Using primarily graduate student's labor (notably Clayton Newberry), Norris's specimens have been integrated into the existing UC bryophyte collection, and all 120,000 specimens have been curated into a new, uniform system. The old filing system of sheets and loose packets has been replaced with new standard box-folders for better protection and space savings. We are currently working on further curating this collection: while most packets bear suitable labels, the paper previously used for packets is not of particularly high quality, and thus the collection needs to be largely repacketed.